Monday, January 15, 2018

Unconditional Love - Return of the Prodigal Son (originally posted on personal blog - 2/20/2009)

I loved the book by Fr. Henri Nouwen, Return of the Prodigal Son. Yes, this is from the parable of Jesus, but also, his interpretation of the painting by Rembrandt. I have seen a mural of this same painting in a confessional at a Catholic church in the Memphis area. What a wonderful visual to come to understand the Father's (God's) unconditional love for each of us!

I hope that I have moved beyond the time of being the Prodigal Son. The time of running carefree and swandering riches and being consumed by material things. I feel that I am now somewhat like the Elder Son. He felt that he was serving his "father", but couldn't understand why he "suffered" while others (his prodigal brother) received a fatted calf and a ring on his finger when he returned. The elder son is a time of being concerned for others, but often we become jealous of others who receive blessings even though they do not seem worthy. 

May the day come soon when I can honestly live with the unconditional love as modeled by Christ. It seems that the Father's unconditional love (that which comes without strings attached or expectations) comes to most when they are older. To emulate Christ is a worthy goal since he told us that he would lead us to the Father. 

When you look at Rembrandt's painting, do you pity the prodigal son, do you think that he is undeserving, do you rejoice that he has returned? With God's love, may we remember that His love is beyond measure. Just because my neighbor (whether friend or foe) has received many blessings, does not mean that God will not give me blessings as well. His love is not a competition. As mentioned in another blog, Christ is knocking at the door to my heart to offer me His unconditional love, may I not only open that door and welcome Him in, but also, may I offer others this same love. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment